30 April - investment news from one of our investment partners
- 30th April 2020
Markets rally over the last two days
Investment Bulletin from Brewin Dolphin
- FTSE 100 opened higher initially up to 6,151 before dropping back to 6,096 (11am)
- Bond Markets – Generally good this morning – Gilts just marginally tighter.
- US & Euro equity markets have been trading in a range however in the last few days they have broken out of that range.
- Still danger of a correction and markets have priced in a lot of good news
- Shell, latest big name to cut its Q1 dividend (cut by 2/3rds and rebased)
- Some potential good news with C19 treatment drug REMDESVIR
What are the drivers for this recent mini equity rally against backdrop of some poor economic data;
Recent economic data;
- European Conditions Economic Sentiment Index – now lower than at any point in time
- Advanced GDP Report from US – worse than expected in for Q1 and will be lower still in Q2
- Daily Index from FT shows that China is still operating at levels much lower than this time last year
So what have been the Drivers;
- Evidence is building that the first wave spread is easing, new cases & deaths lower in most regions
- In Europe although levels of activity is extremely weak some high frequency daily indicators are showing mild improvement like electricity usage in Spain & Italy
- Earnings is another factor, although the Stock 600 index which is a blend of companies that have reported for Q1 and expectations for those that are yet to report shows that earnings are going to be down 25% in q1 year on year there has however been a slightly better than average number of both earnings & revenue surprises relative to expectations contributing to analysts slowing the rate at which they are marking down expectations
- In the US Mega Cap – Alphabet missed earnings estimates but reported good news on its cloud and costs which has been taken positively by the market. Facebook & Microsoft reported results the market liked
- There has also been more recent good news in the beaten down oil space in terms of weekly inventory levels, which are not as bad as feared
The value of investments and any income from them can fall and you may get back less than you invested. Past performance is not a guide to future performance. The information contained in this article is believed to be reliable and accurate at the time of writing, but without further investigation cannot be warranted as to accuracy or completeness.
Any news or resources within this section should not be relied upon with regards to figures or data referred to as legislative and policy changes may have occurred.